When it comes to choosing a type of paint for your bathroom, you have to be right. If you are thinking about repainting your bathroom or choosing a type of paint for your new bathroom, then you are at the right place. We will help you in determining what type of paint is best for a bathroom. There are different types of paint available in the market and some of them are ideal for damp and moist conditions. To know all these in detail, read on.
How Many Kinds Of Paint Are There?
There are mainly five types of paint finishes that are available in the market. Here are the five types of paint:
- Flat Paint Or Matte Paint: One of the most common types of paint is matte paint or flat paint. This type doesn’t have much shine. The matte paint provides best coverage in just few coats. It can also efficiently cover all imperfections like nail holes and other damages.
- Eggshell Paint: This is another popular type of paint finish. It is slightly more lustrous than that of the matte paint. It provides a low sheen and covers the imperfections too. This paint is perfect for the places with medium to low traffic.
- Satin Paint: Satin paint is quite common or interior paint finish. They have velvety sheen and it is quite easy to clean than that of the eggshell or flat paints. This paint is a great choice for the places with high-traffic areas. It offers great sheen and velvety touch to your wall.
- Semi-gloss Paint: This paint offers a shiny and reflective finish. Semi-gloss paint is considered as extremely durable in nature with mildew resistance power. This paint is used in the rooms that face wears and tears or damp.
- High-gloss Paint: The high-gloss paints tend to have the shiniest finish. They are very durable in nature and the paint is also washable in nature. This paint an also handle a lot of scrubbing and washing.
What Should Be Considered While Choosing The Paint?
When you are deciding about – what type of paint is best for a bathroom, you have to consider a lot of things. Some of these factors are:
- Richness Of The Color: One of the most important things that you have to consider is the richness of the color. You need to choose whether you need full coverage or sheen coverage. There is a trend to use light color in the bathroom to create the illusion that it is a large room. Choose the color that can match various styles of bathroom in case you want to change bathroom style one day.
- Ability To Wash: You have to consider whether or not you want to wash the paint if it gets any stains. Some paints are washable in nature. If you don’t choose the paint with washable performance, the stains on the wall will be hard to clean, and the wall will be dirty over time.
- Waterproof: When you are choosing a type of paint for your bathroom, you have to choose a paint which is waterproof or water resistant in nature. The moisture in bathroom can easily seep into the wall paint and cause a series of problems like peeling and bubbling. This type of paint can do really well in the areas with heavy moisture, damp or humidity.
- Smell Factor: Another additional factor that you can consider for painting your bathroom wall is the smell factor. There are many paints available nowadays with zero or low fragrance. This can be soothing to your sensitive nose.
What Type Of Paint Is Best For A Bathroom?
When considering what type of paint is best for your bathroom, you have to choose a semi-gloss or high-gloss finish. Gloss finish can offer a hard coating against the water or moisture in the bathroom after it has dried. Hence, the water doesn’t seep into the wood or drywall through the paint. As moisture encourages mildew and mold growth, waterproof paint can inhibit mold growth to some extent. And it would be better if your paint is resistant to mildew or mold. In fact, satin paint can also be a good choice. Key points that you need to consider:
- Paint with semi-gloss or high-gloss finish
- Paints that are resistant to moisture
- Paint must be mildew and mold resistant
You must avoid paints with a low-sheen or matte finish. Water can seep through the paints with a matte finish or low-sheen. Hence, this can damage the drywall or wood present in the bathroom. If you definitely prefer to use flat paint or matte paint in your bathroom, you have to choose a good primer. A good primer can help the matte paint withstand in the damp bathroom in years to come. So use the sticky primer with mildewcide additives to protect your walls.
Also, there are more and more kinds of wall paint. Some can even kill molds once they are applied to the wall and restrain new molds to grow. Apply such kind of paint in your bathroom and keep the ventilation, the molds and mildew would not be so easy to regenerate.
Hopefully, it is quite clear to you about – what type of paint is best for a bathroom. You need to follow the instructions mentioned above to ensure that you are choosing the best paint for your bathroom. As your bathroom faces maximum water usage and the moisture content is high, you have to ensure that the paint is completely resistant to moisture or mildew. Besides, painting the ceilings with the same paint to keep away the mildew.